Here are a few realizations you may have already had:
- You may have realized you eat way too much.
- You may have realized you don’t eat nearly enough.
- Eating processed foods will often result in carbohydrate and fat overload. You may find you need to cut back on breads, cereals, etc.
- Conversely, eating strictly paleo can often result in too low of carbohydrate intake. In order to get close to your carbohydrate goal, you will likely need to add some fruits and veggies higher in starch (bananas, potatoes), legumes, whole grains (rice, quinoa).
- You’ve probably discovered that your food usually contains enough fat and there is little room for extra fats like nuts and nut butters.
- You may find it’s difficult to get enough protein without supplementing and/or without getting too much fat. Protein powders are a convenient, cost-effective, and low-fat/cholesterol solution to meeting your daily protein goals.
It may not be that your daily calorie count is much different but that your body is in a bit of “shock” with the changed macronutrient proportions. For instance if your carbohydrate percentage was formerly 70% and now it is 40%, your body is probably craving all those carbs. So give your body time to adjust before you stray too far off your original calculations.
Remember this is a CHALLENGE, it isn’t supposed to be easy and it will require some work and sacrifice on your part if you want to get successful results. It will also take time to learn how to stay within your calorie and macronutrient goals. Be patient and flexible!